Idaho Voter Registration & Information

Voter Eligibility

All Boise residents are eligible to vote, if they meet the following criteria:

  • Are at least 18 years old on the day of the election
  • Are a legal citizen of the United States
  • Have been an Idaho resident for at least 30 days

Your registration will be permanent as long as you don't move and continue to vote at least every four years, in either a general or primary election. If you move or change your name, you will be required to re-register.

How To Register

vote in idaho

Idaho residents can register to vote in the same precinct as your primary resident. You may register in one of two ways:

1. By Mail: Obtain a copy of the Idaho Voter Registration Form, online or in person, then mail to the address listed on the form that corresponds to your county. Note that these forms must be post-marked at least 25 days prior to the election.

2. In Person: Obtain a copy of the Idaho Voter Registration Form, then bring it directly to the appropriate county address listed on the form.

3. At The Voting Poll: You may register on election day at the polls, by proving your current residence and providing photo I.D. You may use the following to prove your residence:

  • a valid Idaho driver's license
  • a valid Idaho identification card
  • any document with your address + photo I.D.
  • a student I.D. card + a current student fee statement with your address

On Election Day

All voters must bring photo I.D. with them on election day. If you are unable to provide photo I.D., you may sign a Personal Identification Affidavit. Falsifying your identity on this document is a felony. Appropriate forms of I.D. include:

  • a valid Idaho driver's license or identification care
  • a U.S. passport or Federal I.D. card
  • a valid student photo I.D.
  • a tribal photo I.D. card

Note that in Idaho it is at the discretion of your employer whether you are permitted time off to vote. If you are not certain that you will be able to make it to the polling station due to work or other conflicts, contact the county clerk for information on submitting an absentee ballot.

If you're moving to Idaho and want to know more about the local area, contact the Mike Brown Group!

Sign up for email updates